The United States is reportedly planning to launch strikes at Iran as early as this weekend, even as no decision has yet been made by US President Donald Trump about the strike. According to a report by CBS, the top US security officials have informed Trump that the US military is prepared to strike Tehran as soon as Saturday (21st February). However, the timeline for a military action, if approved by the US President, is expected to stretch beyond the weekend.
The US military is ready to attack Iran as early as this weekend, even though President Donald Trump has not made a final decision yet on whether he’ll authorise an armed confrontation with Tehran, according to reports by CNN and CBS. The development comes amid a massive US military buildup in the Middle East, including warships, fighter jets, and refuelling aircraft, laying the foundation for a potentially sustained campaign against Iran.
Quoting sources, the report states that during the next three days, the US will be moving its military assets and personnel out of the Middle East. This is a standard practice for the Pentagon to shift assets and personnel ahead of a potential U.S. military action. However, it does not necessarily hint at an imminent US strike on Iran.
According to CNN, the top US national security officials had a meeting on Wednesday (18th February) in the White House Situation Room to discuss the situation in Iran. The same day, Trump was briefed by special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, about their indirect talks with Iran that took place a day before. The US President is reportedly weighing whether to launch a strike or hold off on military action. The CNN quoted a source who said that Trump privately argued both for and against military action and polled advisers and allies on what the best course of action is.
It is reported that the Iranian and the US negotiators held indirect talks in Geneva on Tuesday (17th February), but no clear resolution was reached. Iran said that an agreement was reached on setting guiding principles, while the US side said that a lot of details remain to be discussed.
Addressing the media on Wednesday, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said that Iran was expected provide more details on its negotiating position in the next couple of weeks, but she refused to set a deadline. “There are many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,” Leavitt said, adding that Trump was relying on counsel from his national security team. She said that the US had “a very successful operation in June that targeted Iran’s nuclear facilities” and that Iran would be “wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration.”
Last year, in June, the US joined Israel’s attack on Iran’s nuclear sites during a 12-day war with Iran. Before the strikes, Iran had revived its enrichment program after the US withdrew from the 2014 nuclear deal. It started enriching uranium up to 60% purity, reaching almost weapons-grade level.
Amid the current threats of the US strikes, Iran is fortifying many of its nuclear sites, with concrete and large amounts of soil to bury key sites, new satellite imagery has reportedly revealed.














































